Diana Fenton Kalan, MA, LMHC, LPC
I work with individuals who are struggling with intense and difficult emotions (anger, depression, anxiety, worthlessness) and with low self-esteem. Individuals may need guidance to heal the effects of trauma, or may struggle with a life transition, such as divorce or a loss. Through deep exploration, individuals gain insight into their internal world, learn to accept and love all of themselves and create a sense of balance and peace within. I work with individuals to heal their deepest wounds and to feel encouraged, clear, and empowered. It is my goal to help each individual bring our work from session to the world.
Therapy begins with building trust and feeling seen and attuned to without judgment. I accept my clients as they are, and we become a team, weaving in skills and entering into deep trauma work. My therapeutic style is caring, encouraging and individualized in order to help each person learn skills to work with their emotions, see situations without judgment and recognize solutions that fit personal values.
Areas of Specialty
I specialize in individual and group psychotherapy for adults. I meet the needs of each client, personalizing and sometimes weaving in multiple approaches, while other times diving deeply into one approach. I incorporate Dialectical Behavior Therapy (DBT), Internal Family Systems (IFS) Therapy, and Humanistic approaches.Therapy helps clients to connect to their own strengths, independence and freedom.
- Coping with transitions (Divorce, death, move, loss of relationship).
- Managing emotions (anger, depression, anxiety, low self-esteem)
- Healing the effects of trauma
- Building and maintaining healthy relationships and communicating effectively
- Reconnection with Nature
Experience & Training
- Co-founder of Southern NH Counseling Center, specializing in individual, couple’s and group psychotherapy for adults. Provided individual and group IFS, DBT, and Person-Centered Therapy.
- Provided training in DBT to local hospital employees and worked with them to bring DBT program into their inpatient unit.
- At Greater Nashua Mental Health Center, facilitated eight weekly groups including 5 DBT groups, Interpersonal Effectiveness Group, “Who Am I?” Self Reflection Group, Women’s Group and Managing Emotions Group
- Internship under Dr. Debra Gillum at the Cardinal Clinic, co-counseling children and their families, providing skills training and facilitating a Compassionate Parenting Skills Group for Parents.
- Trained in Internal Family Systems Therapy (IFS) through the Center for Self Leadership
- Certification as a Dialectical Behavior Therapy (DBT) psychotherapist, through Manchester Mental Health
- DBT for Adolescents skills training at the North Eastern Society for Group Psychotherapy
- MA in Clinical Mental Health Counseling from Webster University
- BS in Psychology from University of Maryland (Asian Division)